Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What Does it All Mean?

So, ye of expansive cyber-space... you may be wondering, what is the meaning behind this blog?

First, and assuredly most important, I am trying to motivate my sloth-ridden tail into writing again (more). You see, I've hit upon a case of acedia (ahh-see-dee-ahh: creative sloth, otherwise known as a "block".) And from where I sit, the natives in my noggin are getting restless.

Then there is my other reason, which is still self serving, though may offer up a bit of help to others out there like me-- I want to cronical my way to Writer-dom.

You probably need some back-story. In a nutshell, I've always been a closet writer-- making up stories in my head, tinkering with a poem here, a short-story there. You know, you have done it too.

A few years ago, I set about finding my writing niche. I wrote columns for several local papers, one of which made it to a pretty big state paper. I became the non-fiction editor of a writer-ly website. I became an editor of three sites on a Women-geared master site.

Column writing is good for me, and to be honest, blogging pretty much feels the same way. Cathartic.

Then I dabbled in fiction and poetry. I workshopped a good bit of my work, got some decent feedback and submitted a pitiful number of works to small lit mags and such. Suprisingly, I made my first sale ($10) without ever knowing how. One day I got a check in the mail for a pitiful erotic short story that I conjured up after too much tequila. What the hell, I cashed it, effectively selling my baby to a stranger.

My biggest accomplishment to date has been selling a story to a national magazine. Now, before you offer up congratulatory praise, I must tell you, the mag was a CONFESSIONAL type of mag. You know, the one with attention-grabbing headlines like: I sold my baby for $40, or I Ran My Husband Over with My Buick.

Kidding aside, I am proud of that sale. I got a decent little chunk of change and my story hit grocery stores everywhere. I know, it's no Pulitzer, but I've got to think of it as a baby step toward my goal of BEING a WRITER.

Thus, this blog has commenced. Somewhere between wanting to be a writer and being able to say I AM A WRITER (where you inevitably have to answer the question, "What have you published?" with something more substantial than saying "A few things.") there is a middle ground, a Literal Limbo.

I am there. Follow me while I weave my way from the depths of my creative purgatory!